Thanks to all who attended our showing of ‘Before the Flood’ presented by Leonardo Di Caprio. It was an excellent film and the 50+ people who attended took time afterwards to discuss their reactions, feelings and ideas in response to it.
Below is a summary of the ideas shared to address the concerns highlighted in the film in order to slow down climate change and its consequent disruptions.
They are a mixture of personal actions, community initiatives and broader changes.
· Simplify our lives with less consumption & waste, to reduce energy & materials use.
· Reduce meat eating, particularly beef which has the greatest climate impact
· Switch to a renewable energy provider such as Good Energy or Ecotricity.
· Support local community energy schemes. E.g Ealing Transition’s schools solar projects.
· Ensure we are well informed and connected to wider campaigns e.g. through Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth & Avaaz.
· Support campaigns for a carbon tax to ensure the full cost of fossil fuels are addressed.
· Campaign for improvements to air quality in Ealing as a means of pollution & energy reduction. See ETI’s ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’ document on our website.
· Avoid buying damaging products, e.g. containing palm oil & support boycott campaigns e.g. Greenpeace.
· Lobby local business for responsible & sustainable behaviour in products on sale.
· Campaign for better community and school education on Climate Change. e.g. promote further showings of this film.
‘Before the Flood’ is available to show free via the internet as a National Geographic film.
Our next event will be a showing of the film ‘Demain’ (‘Tomorrow’) on Sunday 19th March. This film explores some of the solutions being developed by communities to the challenges of Climate Change.